kz650.info

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to KZ650.info!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how to stop flash rust in fuel tank and a bit more  (Read 3006 times)

bh30

• one 1977 Z650-B1
  • KZ650 Oracle
  • one 1977 Z650-B1
how to stop flash rust in fuel tank and a bit more
« on: May 31, 2012, 07:34:22 PM »

I have been cleaning the fuel tank with sodium carbonate and the battery method and working good but got flash rust .
any tips on the best method of stopping the flash rust coming in the tank after this method.I am going to do it again .I am thinking of putting some 2 stroke oil in with the rinsing out water so as to stop it coming back  but when the tank is filled up with fuel the oil will be gone after a while and rust will come back?.

I put tank on to go for a spin so as to pull down the head again .

on another matter I pulled down the inside bolts front and back inside the head to only 7.0 Ft  LBs seeing the feel I got was dont go anymore I dont want them striped.

before taking cams out I checked the valve gaps and they had come up a bit because of the new valves lapped in by hand so a bit smaller gaps on the cams .after putting cams back in and caps pulled down to 95 in LBs one gap was less  and one  was 0.10 before and from what I can see 0.14 after ,now why would it change like that .I know its a bit of hit and miss to get the lob in the same spot but at many angles its the same.pulling down caps at different in Lbs might make it smaller but not bigger .has anybody tried pulling down a loose cap to get gaps right .not talking about the 0.14 cap but for example getting 0.02-0.03 out of some  .I am checking at the bottom of came method .

gd4now

• Old Kaw owners tend to smile alot!
  • Administrator
  • Denco where did you go?
Re: how to stop flash rust in fuel tank and a bit more
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 10:21:30 PM »

The last time I did my tank via electrolysis I sprayed a large amount of wd40 into the tank and coated the inside to stop the flash rust
Bruce
1977 KZ 650 B1
This is my Z

z76

• KZ650 Oracle
  • Zs forever
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 09:37:39 AM »

aren't there other products around that will clean and seal the tank without needing water? water is probably one of your enemies in this case. after drying the tank as quickly as possible, perhaps slosh around some kerosene.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 09:40:33 AM by z76 »
B1 with K700 kit
81 kz750 pulsing coil
81 kz650 igniter
NOS VM24 carbs
V&H 4-1
airbox + K&N filter
15 pilot, 102.5 main, needle clip 5th slot
'02 ZR750 clutch, secondary shaft, primary chain
57.51hp at the wheel
43.21 ft-lbs torque
tin tops - get outa my way!

Noobens

• KZ650 Oracle
  • '78 B2
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 03:12:49 PM »

I've had incredible results using CLR (Calcium/Lime/Rust Remover).  It's incredibly cheap too.  When cleaning your tank why did you allow it to sit without any fluids in it?  When I'm done cleaning them I immediately rinse them out with water, put a few rags inside of the tank and blow compressed air through the whole thing, pull the rags out, then leave the air blower inside of the tank for a few minutes.  Fill it with gas, slosh it around, drain that gas and discard, put fresh gas in it, boom done.  Your tank shouldn't be sitting exposed for more than a few minutes, otherwise flash rust is inevitable.  Some sort of lube or oil would work pretty well I imagine to stop the flash rust, but that stuff will settle eventually and you'll be back to where you're at now.

I've never cleaned by electrolysis.  Honestly if you don't mind waiting a few days and some elbow grease, CLR will do anything you ask of it.  Haven't had a tank yet that it couldn't fix.  And FYI it WILL pull KREEM out if you let it sit long enough.  We had a Road King in a few weeks ago that had KREEM applied OVER rust and it was causing all sorts of issues with the FI.  The CLR pulled out the KREEM as well as the rust underneath it.  Looked like a brand new tank when completed.

I'm going to try some tests with some fluids and see which works better as I've been wanting to try to clean with electrolysis for quite some time, and I am not short on rusty parts to clean.  Will post results!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 03:29:26 PM by Noobens »
Current rides:

1978 KZ650B2: Overbore (720cc,) pods, electronic ignition, and 4-1 Alphabet header & exhaust.
2006 KLR650A (Daily Driver/Adventure Tourer/Money Pit)
1964 Honda CA95 (In the process of restoring this one)
1966 Honda CB160 (Will never be done)

OKC_Kent

• KZ650 Oracle
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 03:57:34 PM »

You might try cleaning the rust out with phosphoric acid. It will take out the rust and leave behind a protective coating that prevents rust.
1978 KZ650 B2 - daily rider
1983 Kawasaki 750 LTD Shaft - next years ride
Oklahoma City

bh30

• one 1977 Z650-B1
  • KZ650 Oracle
  • one 1977 Z650-B1
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 07:14:18 PM »

thanks all for the tips .
I had 3litres of fuel additive to take moisture out in winter lying around and I put that in and sloshed around after rinsing out with  water but was a bit slow filling the tank up with fuel .

anyway I am going to try again and try some of the tips .
THANKS again.

bh30

• one 1977 Z650-B1
  • KZ650 Oracle
  • one 1977 Z650-B1
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 06:58:13 PM »

well I tried doing the tank again and after finished I put water hose in tank and let the water run over the tank filler for a bit tiped that water out sprayed lots of WD40 IN  No flash rust at this stage went and put some fuel in at servo and shake shake shake tiped out there filled up again  and after home put some moisture treatment in tank .tank full to brim .get up next morning and the fuel had come past the cap seal seeing it was in sun at this stage .feeling good tip a bit of fuel out and yes flash rust everywhere after spending 3 days getting rid of therust the   other time it did it .I was not going to go and do the battery thing again so I put some WD40 again in tank and shaked it around and then put stone in a rag  and went allover the place with it in.I put fuel one time then WD40 the next and after doing a few times got most of it out .

750steve

• Monkey Spanker
  • KZ650 Oracle
    • Z650.proboards.com
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 12:08:29 PM »

You might try cleaning the rust out with phosphoric acid. It will take out the rust and leave behind a protective coating that prevents rust.

I used Phosphoric acid but it still let it flash rust but very lightly.

I used baking soda to neutralise the acid, a gallon of de-ionised water to wash the baking soda out then a small bottle or methylated spirit to absorb any moisture left over. Then i put fuel in the tank & all was good!!
1977 Z650 B1

1977 Z750 Twin B2

2007 ZX6R Ninja P7F Race Bike

http://z650.proboards.com/

650king

• KZ650 Oracle
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 12:37:48 PM »

I recently used plain undiluted vinegar full right to the top then stopped up for a few days... emptied half out and stuck a lightweight chain in there and then sloshed that around by hand for a few minutes... drained it all out then neutralized with a baking soda water mix (2 gallons) for about 5 minutes then flushed with clean water by hose nozzle - my final step was force drying it with a heat gun until no water dripped out then sloshing around 2 quarts of kerosene = no flash rust.

All of that can be done without harming the paint except the heat gun... if I wanted to protect the paint I would only use a hair dryer at that point - less risk to overheat the metal.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 12:40:43 PM by 650king »
1978 B2 "Sleeper" (831cc stealth motor) painted as a blue 77 C1
1977 C1 silver "basket case" restoration rebuild
1978 B2 red "street racer" project
1978 B2 mechanical F.I. Drag Bike 831cc motor

bh30

• one 1977 Z650-B1
  • KZ650 Oracle
  • one 1977 Z650-B1
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 03:28:34 PM »

thanks again .it looks like light flash rust has come in tank in some spots so try again with some of those methods .
Pages: [1]   Go Up