kz650.info

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to KZ650.info!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Not sure where to put this. 77 KZ custom  (Read 2942 times)

SumDumbGuy

• KZ650 Permit Holder
Not sure where to put this. 77 KZ custom
« on: March 15, 2012, 09:04:51 PM »

Hey everybody, I've browsed the site for a while, but I finally have to ask a question!! 

First of all, I'm normally a car guy, but I got a little burned out on working on cars so I decided on a "smaller" project.  I bought a 77 KZ 650 for $200 and set myself a goal to make it streetable for under $600.  It has 17,000 miles on it, very little surface rust on the frame, and had been in heated storage for 10 of the last 12 years.  The bike hasn't been on the road since 1989. I got it running a half hour after I got it home.  It doesn't burn oil or leak, so I'm happy.  It ran rough, but I tore the carbs off this winter and rebuilt them (only thing my girlfriend would let me work on in the house since we don't have a garage.)

The number on the frame is KZ650C-000309, is there anything special about this bike???  I've noticed on this site in the "Differences" document, it mentions the 77 B1 and 78 C2, but not the C1. 

Also, the PO said it had a ferring on it when he bought it.  He thought it looked stupid so he tore it off and threw it away.  The problem with this is I don't have front blinkers or any type of headlight assembly.    I'm left with a few cut off wires, but he left the mounts on the forks.  I've checked out Z1 enterprises and they have the headlight bucket assembly for around $50, but I'm not sure how the factory blinkers looked.  I've seen pics with the blinkers mounted close to the headlight, and out a few inches from it.  Can anybody help me out with this please?  I'd like to keep it looking stock, or at least find all the pieces to make it stock. 

Well, thanks in advance for any help! 
77 KZ650C

650ed

• KZ650 Oracle
  • U.S.A.
Re: Not sure where to put this. 77 KZ custom
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 09:17:54 PM »

Welcome aboard!!  Wow!  The C1 is the first year of the "Custom"; model year 1977 although I'll bet yours was made in late 1976.  I have the same bike.  That's a really low vin number.  That bike was probably made the first month of production.  Take a look at the steering neck to see if it has a white label.  If it does, what is the date of manufacture?   Here's some advice for what it's worth, and below that are a couple pics of what a stock bike looks like that I hope will help.

Many newbies and not so newbies run into the same problems or issues with their bikes which could be easily avoided with a little preparation.  Here are a couple recommendations that I hope you will find useful.  

Before riding your KZ you should take a little time to become familiar with it.  Simple things like checking the oil, tire pressures, etc. are explained in the Kawasaki Owner's Manual.  If you bike didn't come with one (they normally are in a little holder on the bottom of the seat) you can usually find one on eBay - be sure to get one for your exact year/model.

If you plan to maintain your bike yourself rather than rely on a shop for all maintenance, you really should buy the Kawasaki Factory Service Manual for your bike.  It will save you time, money, and frustration by enabling you do perform tasks correctly the first time without damaging anything.  No one has ever regretted buying one of these.  The factory service manual provides instructions on the various maintenance procedures and schedules for your bike, procedures for diagnosing and correcting problems, proper torque values for the various fasteners (VERY IMPORTANT), and insight into how each system on your bike works even if you are not repairing that system.  Some tasks that can adversely affect the safety of the bike, such as installing the front axle, are not intuitively obvious and are nearly always done wrong unless the manual or someone who has read the manual is consulted.  Studying the manual before you attempt performing service on your bike will impart an understanding of the system you are working on which will increase the odds of success and safety.

The manuals usually are readily available for most models on eBay and other sources, but be sure to get one that has your specific year and model in it as there are differences between the various KZ650 models.  I do not recommend Clymers, Haynes, or other aftermarket manuals as I have seen instances where they provide inaccurate advice. You may decide to use those to supplement the factory manual, but in my opinion they are not a suitable substitute.  If you have trouble finding one for your model ask us for help.

If you plan to do your own maintenance you will need some tools that you may not currently own.  Kawasaki uses numerous steel screws and bolts many of which are threaded into the aluminum engine.  The bolts are much tougher than the aluminum and if over tightened will strip the aluminum threads.  Although these can be repaired, preventing damage by applying proper torque will save you grief, time, and money.  Tightening fasteners properly requires torque wrenches.  Various vendors, including Snap-on, CDI, Sears, etc., market torque wrenches.  The two most popular types are the bar type and micrometer type.  Either will work, but the micrometer type is a bit easier to use, especially if you are tightening several fasteners with the same torque - such as cylinder head covers.  I have found that it takes 2 different scale torque wrenches to properly torque most if not all the fasteners on the KZ650.  There are many fasteners that require low torque.  These include such things as 6mm oil pan bolts, cylinder head cover bolts, etc. for which the torque in 61-78 inch pounds.  These low torque bolts require a wrench that is accurate at low settings and this wrench should be graduated in inch pounds.  In addition, there are numerous high torque fasteners such as the front axle nuts (51 - 65 foot pounds) or swing arm pivot shaft nuts (58 - 87 foot pounds).  These require a wrench that is accurate at higher settings; this wrench should be graduated in foot pounds.  Using the proper torque wrenches to correctly tighten fasteners will help prevent damage and contribute to a safe bike.

The crosshead screws on the Kawasaki that look like "Phillips" screws are not Phillips; they are Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS).  Using a Phillips screwdriver tip on these will damage the screw heads.  JIS screwdriver bits are available, but if you don't want to spend money on them you can make a suitable substitute from Phillips screwdriver bits.  You just need to grind the tip of the Phillips bit a little then test the bit in a screw then grind a little more as necessary until the bit fits the screw properly.  When properly ground the bit should be able to easily stay in the screw without help.  If you need more explanation, just ask - pictures are available.

Good luck with your "new" bike, and be sure to ask any questions here as there are lots of knowledgeable folks on this site.  Ed
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 09:34:12 PM by 650ed »
KZ650C1 Original Owner - Stock

rstnick

• Rob
  • Administrator
  • Ride safely, and have fun!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 09:23:53 PM »

Welcome SDG.

I was going to say there`s got to be lots of signal pictures here, and there you go, the perfect example.
If I`m not mistaken, a few members have posted front turn signals for sale recently.
Do post up some pictures of your C1 when you get a chance.
 8)
Rob

KZ650.info home page with tech tips, links etc: http://kz650.info/

'77 C1 project - newest
'78 C2 Candy Apple Blue, 105 000 kms, 18" wheels front & back, Rickman fairing, Koni shocks, Progressive springs, braced stock swingarm, GSXR600 rear sets, ATK fork brace, SS brake lines, Kerker exhaust, K&N filter in air box, ported, 1st over bore, Kawi electronic ignition, bought in '84.
'78 C2 project 6 #s off other C2
'79 C3 frame with title & bits, was my brother's.

GreenZR

• 136,618 miles so far.
  • KZ650 Oracle
  • 1978 C2 Mine since "79"
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 09:58:18 PM »

Welcome, and where are you located?  Someone here is probably next door!
Gary     Southern Indiana
1978 KZ650 C2    1977 KZ650 C1
2004 HONDA CRF230F  2006 HONDA TRX350 ES RANCHER 4X4
2000 HONDA ST1100   1991 HONDA ST1100 Parts bike

My Gallery photos are here  http://forums.kz650.info/index.php?action=gallery;sa=myimages;u=965

jeffw

• KZ650 Guru
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 10:26:30 PM »

I have some front and rear blinkers for sale will have some pics up tomorrow
1977 KZ650 B1 "Cafed"
4-1 & Pods, Electronic Ig. & Dyna Coils
http://forums.kz650.info/index.php?topic=9020.0

Jefferson

• KZ650 Freak
  • new and improved
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 11:08:42 PM »

Welcome!  nice score for $200.  that's a hell of a deal my friend.  looking forward to pics   :iconpopcorn:
Jeff
2012 Harley Iron 883

gd4now

• Old Kaw owners tend to smile alot!
  • Administrator
  • Denco where did you go?
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 11:44:27 PM »

Welcome to the site - that is one good looking machine!
Bruce
1977 KZ 650 B1
This is my Z

SumDumbGuy

• KZ650 Permit Holder
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 09:17:06 AM »

650 Ed - Thanks for the info. I'll look for the manufacture date when I get home.  I have the Haynes manual and I have noticed that it's not the greatest thing.  I grew up on dirt bikes so I'm fairly familiar with the general maintenance on a bike. 
I did notice the issue with the "Phillips" screws.  I've found that a worn down #3 Phillips works pretty good though. 

GreenZR - I'm from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, kind of out in the middle of nowhere.

Jeffw - Are you selling all of them together?  I already have the rears.

Here's a pic of the bike the first day I bought it.  As you can see, it's missing the front blinkers, and there's a headlight rigged on it, that I had to give back to the PO's friend.  Any other pics will have to wait because the bike is buried in my shed!
77 KZ650C

squadrider

• KZ650 Oracle
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 09:30:52 AM »

Nice looking 650 - you have the stock headlight mounts which require the stock turn signals and stems to hold the headlight in place

I used SS carriage bolts for a period of time to hold the headlight can when i had handlebar mounted blinkers and it worked well but i've gone back to the stock type mounting

-t
-Tommy
1979 KZ650-C3 - K&Ns - Kerker - original owner
1986 ZL600 - A1
- Massachusetts

650ed

• KZ650 Oracle
  • U.S.A.
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 09:42:20 AM »

That bike is actually in very good shape.  Original paint can never be duplicated so you're lucky to have it, original pipes, fenders, the works - you're off to a great start.  Lights and bilnkers are available on eBay, maybe replace the seat with an original when you can, and finding the other little stuff you need is no biggie.  I suggest you go to Kawasaki.com and look under owner info, then parts diagrams, and find the KZ650-C1 parts diagrams.  They will be VERY useful in determining which bits and pieces you're missing, such as turn signal and headlight parts.  If you have any trouble finding your parts diagrams just ask here and we'll guide you through.  Also, on the screws, if you get P2 and P3 screwdriver bits you can modify them so they're a perfect fit.  Just grind a little off the tip, test the fit, grind a little test, etc. until they fit like the one in the picture below.  It takes a little patience, but you only need to do it once and you'll never booger up another KZ screw.  Also, if you find a fastener that won't budge soak it with Kroil (look up Kano Labs on web) for a couple days and the fastener will come out.  That stuff is amazing.  Here are the screwdriver bit pics:
KZ650C1 Original Owner - Stock

SumDumbGuy

• KZ650 Permit Holder
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 10:08:33 AM »

Yeah, when I bought it, it didn't have the right side cover and I searched ebay for about two months until I finally found a blue cover with the factory stripes and KZ650 badge on it. 
The seat is on the list of things to be swapped.  Being 6' tall, if I were to ride this bike, I'd have to sit on the "hump" between the seats to comfortably reach the shifter/foot pegs. 
77 KZ650C

kevski

• KZ650 Guru
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 11:15:08 AM »

Not a bad buy there, light and blinkers will be a breeze to do, but you are right that seat has to go, why people put those hideous things on the bikes puzzles the hell out of me, if they want comfort they should stay at home and sit in an easy chair.

GreenZR

• 136,618 miles so far.
  • KZ650 Oracle
  • 1978 C2 Mine since "79"
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 12:45:58 PM »

I could hook you up with the headlight shell with light ( will have to check and make sure both hi and low beams work.) The front turn signal with stems from my 77 C1 parts bike.  Not sure about how clean they are, but are original for the 77.  If your interested PM me and we'll work something out.  Good luck!   Gary.
Gary     Southern Indiana
1978 KZ650 C2    1977 KZ650 C1
2004 HONDA CRF230F  2006 HONDA TRX350 ES RANCHER 4X4
2000 HONDA ST1100   1991 HONDA ST1100 Parts bike

My Gallery photos are here  http://forums.kz650.info/index.php?action=gallery;sa=myimages;u=965

jeffw

• KZ650 Guru
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 03:13:05 PM »

I am selling them separately you can check out my pictures http://s1052.photobucket.com/albums/s441/jeffwenke if you are interested just pm me.  Came off my working bike, I am switching to smaller turn signals.
1977 KZ650 B1 "Cafed"
4-1 & Pods, Electronic Ig. & Dyna Coils
http://forums.kz650.info/index.php?topic=9020.0

H2RICK

• Are these 650s great bikes or what??!!
  • KZ650 Oracle
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 11:39:27 PM »

Welcome to the best 650 board on the Net, SDG.
You've got a heck of a deal there on that primo C2. :iconclap:
The aftermarket has all the bits you need to put your headlight and turn signals back to stock if you can't find the stuff you need from members on this board.
Contact the guys at Z1 Enterprises and they'll set you up with aftermarket bits.....and they even have some genuine Kwak parts, as well.
KZ650C2: Mint stocker; goes by "Ace"
H2A: Semi-hot rod built from a basket case:goes by "Le Grand Orange"
GT550A: Mint stocker; great little stroker
'06 1200 Bandit: My LD highway ride
Pics of "Ace", my C2, and some other bikes of mine
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up