kz650.info

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to KZ650.info!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: KZ650 REARSETS!!!! I think I have FINALLY found them!!!!!  (Read 7344 times)

FloridaSteve

• KZ650 Freak
KZ650 REARSETS!!!! I think I have FINALLY found them!!!!!
« on: October 29, 2009, 02:37:22 PM »

I wish there was an announcment section for this LOL...  I always wondered why NO ONE seemed to offer dedicated rearstes specifically made for the KZ650... and believe me I looked.  Then today I was over on Fastfromthepast and lo and behold there they are.  $295 and very nice looking quality!  Go here and look at the last 2 links!  There's a picture of the 750 set and an exploded view if 650 all in italian (I think) so they obviously from overseas.  I've got an email in to Jim to confirm availability and if he's got a set I'm going to order some in a few weeks.   Oh and they list models for drum and disk rear brakes!!  Just hunt around a little.  It's now possible to properly cafe these suckers without being all crunched up on the forward stock pegs!  Alleljua!

Link:
http://www.fastfromthepast.com/servlet/the-Rearsets-cln-Kawasaki/searchpath/944945/start/81/total/109/Categories
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 02:40:28 PM by FloridaSteve »

FloridaSteve

• KZ650 Freak
Re: KZ650 REARSETS!!!! I think I have FINALLY found them!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 03:04:20 PM »

Jut got an e-mail back from the Jim owner

"Steve,

The rearsets you mention were designed for the KZ650 or Z650(Europe) D series as sold in Europe. I have no information as to whether they will fit the C series as sold in the USA.  I would look at the mounting brackets for the frame in the drawing and see if they appear to match up with your frame. Let me know what you think."

Are the mounts the same between the D series 650's and the earlier bikes?  From poking around it looks like the C and D series bikes are the same but the B series bikes are different.  Is this correct?

http://jarlef.no/Kawasaki/Series/Z/650/z650sr.htm

"D" Series

"C" Series

"B" Series (peg mounts are different from D and C)

« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 03:19:15 PM by FloridaSteve »

Andy

• Forum Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 03:25:20 PM »

Those won't fit my 78 B2, it uses a single bolt and slotted hole to mount the pegs.
D'oh.
r

FloridaSteve

• KZ650 Freak
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 03:36:15 PM »

Those won't fit my 78 B2, it uses a single bolt and slotted hole to mount the pegs.
D'oh.

Yeah that's what I gather from looking at the pictures above sorry to say...  You'd have to make something custom.  What I'm trying to figure out now is if the "C" and "D" mount the same.. Please oh please oh please...

FloridaSteve

• KZ650 Freak
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 04:03:39 PM »

Well a little detective work and the parts diagrams show the footrest brackets to be identical part #'s on the C and the D models so mounting point would not be the issue.

incognito0160

• KZ650 Oracle
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 07:06:03 PM »

Nice, haven't found anyone that made them for the SR model.  I might get a set this winter myself.

Thanks for the link!
Kz650 SR w/ 750 motor and other goodies, 1981 CB900C bored to 985cc.

rstnick

• Rob
  • Administrator
  • Ride safely, and have fun!
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 07:07:17 PM »

It's the year of the 650, and model.
'77 & '78 B&C models have only single bolt mounts, '79 and later have two bolt mounts.
D models had two bolt mounts all years I believe.
The site shows two bolt mount brackets that should fit any model that has 2 bolt mounts stock.

Omar's carry the Raask rear sets which used to make both the one and two bolt versions for drum or disk brakes IIRC.
The web site doesn't show the models available though:
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 11:28:47 PM by rstnick »
Rob

KZ650.info home page with tech tips, manual downloads, how tos, etc: http://kz650.info/

'77 C1 project - newest
'78 C2 Candy Apple Blue, 108 000 kms, 18" wheels front & back, Rickman fairing, Koni shocks, braced stock swingarm, Progressive fork springs, ATK fork brace, SS brake lines, GSXR600 rear sets, Kerker exhaust, K&N filter in air box, ported, 1st over bore, Kawi electronic ignition, bought in '84.
'78 C2 project 6 #s off other C2
'79 C3 frame with title & bits, was my brother's.

rstnick

• Rob
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 07:52:05 PM »

On the stock two bolt mount mounting bracketed models you can switch the mounts from left to right (and vice versa) so the mount now comes backwards.
The pegs get reinstalled back to their same side, the brake lever cut and shortened and a gear shift rigged up.
Like this:

On my single mount pegged C model I experimented doing the same type of thing, swapping the mounts, but I tried using either 2 right mounts or 2 left mounts (I can't remember) but gave up as that didn't work out well.

I ended up buying 2004 GSXR600 rearsets and mounting them by drilling two mounting holes through the frame on either side of the swingarm pivot. Others have used ZX and Yamaha rearsets.

Rob

KZ650.info home page with tech tips, manual downloads, how tos, etc: http://kz650.info/

'77 C1 project - newest
'78 C2 Candy Apple Blue, 108 000 kms, 18" wheels front & back, Rickman fairing, Koni shocks, braced stock swingarm, Progressive fork springs, ATK fork brace, SS brake lines, GSXR600 rear sets, Kerker exhaust, K&N filter in air box, ported, 1st over bore, Kawi electronic ignition, bought in '84.

kawasakifreak77

• Asphalt cowboy.
  • Forum Supporter
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 10:21:18 PM »

Those look like tarrozi universal rearsets with Kawasaki specific mounts.

I been looking for some to replace my homemade job maybe. I just used dirt bike pegs in the passenger mounts, flipped the lever (gave me a GP pattern, same as my 636 I like) then cut up & rewelded the brake pedal. Works great other than having to use more force to use the rear brake... It was free after all!
'47 Cessna "my Ladybird"
'74 XL350 "Buttons"
'77 KZ650 "Barby"
'06 ZX636 "Bonnie"
'07 ZX10R "Fiona"

H2RICK

• Are these 650s great bikes or what??!!
  • KZ650 Oracle
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 11:55:58 PM »

Very slick job with the stock stuff, Rob.....and pretty easy/cheap to do, all in all.
I'm not sure if the more modern stuff would work, for me at least. Wayyyy too new... ;)
KZ650C2: Mint stocker; goes by "Ace"
H2A: Semi-hot rod built from a basket case:goes by "Le Grand Orange"
GT550A: Mint stocker; great little stroker
'06 1200 Bandit: My LD highway ride
Pics of "Ace", my C2, and some other bikes of mine

FloridaSteve

• KZ650 Freak
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 08:39:12 AM »

Very slick job with the stock stuff, Rob.....and pretty easy/cheap to do, all in all.
I'm not sure if the more modern stuff would work, for me at least. Wayyyy too new... ;)

+1 on those.  Very cretive on flipping the stock pegs!  As a matter of fact It would be relatively easy to manufacture a simple brake pedal and shifter (along with an instruction sheet) for folks to do it themselves.  My ultimate goal with my KZ is to keep it "period correct" to speak so flipping the pegs or the Tazorri's fit the bill nicely.  An I do love the look.

Here's the 750's setup.  Can't be that different.

I figured that Raask made something but to be honest I've had the Raask stuff before and I was NOT impressed with the quality.  The Tazorri stuff is very robust.

Thanks for the tips!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 08:42:15 AM by FloridaSteve »

rstnick

• Rob
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 09:15:55 AM »

Very slick job with the stock stuff, Rob

That's not my creation. IIRC it's guitargeek's from KZR, I just saved the pictures.
Others have done a similar mount swap.
I like to save this info for future reference.
Rob

'77 C1 project - newest

anarki650

• KZ650 Oracle
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 11:40:41 AM »

I'll be doing like Rob did with the newer rear sets.  I got the rear sets that match the other 95 zx6 running gear for my Mille project and my plan currently is to cut off the triangular frame pieces that serve as the rear foot peg mounts and have a couple of threaded eyelets welded there for the rear sets.  My rear brake will be converted to the disc from the zx6, so i'll be mounting the MC somewhere (likely top shock mount since I'll be monoshocked), on the shifter side I plan on flipping the lever and running the GP pattern.  Might end up having to find a longer shifter or have mine stretched a little to make that work, but shouldn't be too much of a hassle. 
09 Kawasaki ER6n

Omaha, NE
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.  That is why God made fast motorcycles."  Dr. Hunter S. Thompson.

kawasakifreak77

• Asphalt cowboy.
  • Forum Supporter
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 04:19:24 PM »

Here's the setup I've built up from first gen R1 sets.

I just used the original shifter lever cut off, rounded & drilled & tapped for a bolt to go to the shift rod.

Here's what I'm working with on the brake side, gonna have to have a BEEFY rod made up to actuate the drum arm but I think it'll work!
'47 Cessna "my Ladybird"
'74 XL350 "Buttons"
'77 KZ650 "Barby"
'06 ZX636 "Bonnie"
'07 ZX10R "Fiona"

Andy

• Forum Supporter
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 01:21:28 PM »

Hey KF I like what you have going on there but your rear brake setup looks a little shaky to me. 

The swingarm pivot and the brake rod pivot (pedal end) positions are different and that will make your brake actuation change depending on how compressed your rear suspension is (i.e what position your swingarm is in).  It looks to me like when you compress your suspension (i.e heavy cornering) you are gonna have to really push far on your brake pedal for anything to happen, and if you hit a bump and it sends you a bit up in the air your brake is going to be very touchy or lock up itself.

You may have to run a rod forward from the pedal end to a rocker arm located near the swingarm pivot point and then another rod back to your rear drum lever.

r
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up